I love cycling. Its not just a hobby anymore its more like my vice. I traded smoking for cycling, better for my health but not for my wallet. It wasn't good enough that I had a Giant Avail, I needed something better, lighter, hopefully faster so I bought a Specialized Roubaix, YAHHHH! I'm getting up hills I only dreamed about last year and loving every minute of it.
There is a few things about cycling that I have learned that are a bit useful to know.
1. Its a bit competitive. For fucks sake its not a race! Ok so you can get to the top of the hill faster or you can ride further. Your not Alberto Contador and my ride out after work is not the TDF!
2. It can be a bit unsociable. As long as you are on a bike I have time to see you but to all my non cycling friends I apologize. I get out on the bike after work, get home around 730-800, I shower, eat and sit for an hour before I go to bed.
3. OMG it is so expensive! My credit card company loved the day I got on a bike and still love it! One pair of padded shorts is not enough, actually to be honest neither is two. Then you need the jerseys, oh the beautiful jerseys. Waterproofs that are small enough to fit in your jersey pockets, gilets, socks, gloves, helmets, carbon fibre soled shoes, hats, oakleys,jackets, tights, energy drinks, energy gels, energy bars, bottles, magazines, books, overshoes, dvds, turbo trainers, computers, heart rate monitors, lights, locks, oh and might I add one bike is not enough either! And mtb kit isn't really transferable so if you ride both, well your broke!
4. Woman specific ranges suck. I do not like pink! I do not enjoy the fact that the buyers and designers assume that because I am a woman I will be impressed with the pink, flowery shit they try to sell me. I also don't like the fact that men try to sell me it! Like they have any idea how the female body works! Why do you think they invented vibrators for fucks sake! And when I go into a bike shop or on the Internet I hate the fact that the woman's range is tiny. I get to choose from 5 jerseys then when you check out the men's section there are hundreds of different choices. Im pretty certain woman cycle so get your your fucking fingers out and give us a selection. It is not the dark ages, a lot of time woman earn more then men and believe me they are much better shoppers, so if you want to make money start making non pink woman specific stuff!
5. Its fucking frustrating! So frustrating in fact I cry, often. There are rides that beat me, that strip me down and leave me feeling like I will never get there. There are days when I feel like the breaks are on and your riding into the wind head first, like your pulling a piano!Then there are days when you feel like a fucking super hero, flying through the air with the greatest of ease! Pedals move so quickly and you never want to get off. No two rides are alike and believe me there are days when you want to throw your bike in river and watch it wash away all your frustrations.
But cycling is by far the best sport you can be a part of. Most of the people you meet are amazing and no other sport carries such a passion and excitement. You will find yourself dedicated to hitting the road or trail and you will get such satisfaction from getting up that hill, or winning that race. It makes you a better person and it allows you freedom to see the world with a whole new perspective. Once you get on the bike its impossible to put it down again. I have never been so proud of myself before, so in love with a sport that I want everyday to involve cycling in some form. I am now a dedicated cyclist and cant wait to see what tomorrows ride will bring. So get on the bike and enjoy! I promiss you wont regret it.