Sunday 3 October 2010

learning to ride mtb style

Its been a few months since my visit to Keilder where I had a wee crash. Funny when you have a good fall how much your confidence can be knocked. All my hard work shoved aside by a stupid mistake on a steep downhill section.

So I begin again, learning how to ride a bike mtb style.

A visit to Ae on my birthday didnt help my confidence. An impossible red meant walking my bike and using an escape route back to the parking lot. But an introduction to Kentmere was enough to remind me how much fun a mtb ride can be.

So Saturdays trip took me to Newcastleton with Paul. Although some folk would say the trail lacked thrills I figuer it was just what the doctor ordered. A trail with flow, fucking finally!!! No steep bloody drops and large boulders placed in the centre of the trail to irratate even the most accomplished rider, and cleverly placed chicken runs for those like me who are learning to ride a bike.

Ok so I will admit its not really a red, but then again some reds really should be blacks so, fuck it, incorrect trail grading is a 7 stanes style. Plus i liked it. Couldnt really care less about what anyone else thinks of it, I would prefer less asses on the trail anyways.

Newcastleton was friendly, fun, and a pleasant ride. Its helped me bed into the bike rather nicely and its promised me that it will be just as nice to me when I return.

So for all of you thrill seekers and downhillers, stay away from Newcastleton, all you will do is whinge that it isnt "fun enough" or maybe that "theres not enough downhill sections" and I hate to hear people whinge ;) And to be completely honest I really dont want to share my new friendly trail with you.

1 comment:

  1. I've ridden it once, I agree it's not really a red & the 'black' bits weren't even red! But I like to ride almost any trail, so no complaints here! Also, you've got the right idea about what to practice on. You need lots of luck to learn anything by sheer bravery & you risk setting your confidence back. Most bike skills that work on big stuff can be learnt properly on smaller stuff.

    ReplyDelete